Michael S. Lawson
Senior Professor of Educational Ministries and Leadership; Coordinator of the Doctor of Educational Ministry degree
BBA, University of North Texas, 1965; ThM, Dallas Theological Seminary, 1969; PhD, Oklahoma University, 1983.
Dr. Lawson invested seventeen years in pastoral work and Christian education before returning to teach at DTS in 1986. His special concern for Christian education in the developing world has guided his international preaching and teaching schedule to scores of countries around the world. In recent years numerous international Bible colleges and seminaries have requested his help in curriculum design and faculty development. His recent focus has been on developing the Family Ministry, Advanced Academic Ministry, and Chinese cohorts within the Doctor of Educational Ministry Degree program.
- EML101 - Introduction to Educational Ministries and Leadership
- EML102 - History & Philosophy of Christian Education
- EML103 - Teaching Process
- EML205 - Small Group Process in Ministry
- EML215 - Teaching in Christian Higher Ed
- EML505-1 - The Christian Home: Dynamics of a Christian Marriage
- EML505-3 - The Christian Home: Dynamics of a Christian Family
- EML515 - Family Life Education
- DM103 - Applied Research Project
- DM305 - Select Topics of CE Issues in Today's Ministry
- DM315 - Creative Problem Solving
- DM340 - Strategic Resource Development
- DM420 - Creativity in Ministry
- WM405 - CE in Intercultural Contexts
- The Professor's Puzzle: Teaching in Christian Academics: B&H Academic: 2015
- Grandpa Mike Talks About God: CF4Kids: 2007
- The Christian Educator's Handbook on Children's Ministry : Reaching and Teaching the Next Generation: Baker: 1998
- The Self Guided Church Consultant: Self-published: 1998
- The Complete Handbook for Children's Ministry : How to Reach and Teach the Next Generation from Birth to Age 12: Thomas Nelson: 1993
- Directing Christian Education : The Changing Role of the Christian Education Specialist: Moody: 1992
- “Old Testament Teachings on the Family” in A Theology for Family Ministry B&H Academic: 2011
- “Education in the Epistles” in Evangelical Dictionary of Christian Education Baker Academic: 2001
- “Biblical Foundations for a Philosophy of Teaching” in The Christian Educator’s Handbook on Teaching Baker Books: 2000
- “Teaching in the Community” in The Christian Educator’s Handbook on Teaching Baker Books: 2000
- “Teaching in the Church” in The Christian Educator’s Handbook on Teaching Baker Books: 2000
- “Illustrations of Effective Church Education with Adults” in The Christian Educator’s Handbook on Adult Education Baker Books: 1993
- “Managing the Classroom Experience” in Christian Education: Foundations for the Future Moody Publishers: 1991
- Lawson, Michael S., "Howard G. Hendricks–A Biographical Sketch." Christian Educators of the 20th Century (2009).
- Lawson, Michael S., "Kenneth O. Gangel-A Biographical Sketch." Christian Educators of the 20th Century (2009).
- Lawson, Michael S., "Kenneth O. Gangel: A True Educational Leader." Christian Education Journal 1, no. 2 (2004). 45-53.
- Lawson, Michael S., "Howard Hendricks: A Teacher Who Changes Lives." Christian Education Journal 1, no. 2 (2004). 63-71.
- Lawson, Michael S., "Look Who's Going to Seminary." Christianity Today 41, no. 2 (1997). 104-135.
- Lawson, Michael S., "The Sunday School and the Great Commission." Gospel Herald and The Sunday School Times (1992).
- Lawson, Michael S., "Christian Camping: Decompression for Pressured Kids." Christian Education Today (1987).
- Lawson, Michael S., "NADCE: Building on Its Past, Looking Toward the Future." Christian Education Today (1987).
- Lawson, Michael S., "Disciplining Children at Church." Christian Education Today (1986).
- Lawson, Michael S., "Adult Ministries—An Indirect Approach." Christian Education Today (1985).
- Philosophy and practice of Christian Education