Senior Professor Emeritus of World Missions and Intercultural Studies
B.A., Washington Bible College, 1964; M.Div., Trinity Evangelical Divinity School, 1967; Th.M., 1969; D.Miss., 1981.
A native of England who spent his formative years in the United States, Dr. Pocock always has subscribed to an intercultural approach to the gospel. Before joining the Seminary’s World Missions faculty in 1987, he pastored a culturally diverse church in Chicago. He also ministered for 16 years with The Evangelical Alliance Mission, first in Venezuela and later as mobilization director in Wheaton, Illinois. He continues to travel extensively in order to participate in missions ministries and conferences. Over the past several years Dr. Pocock has researched and written on the development of multicultural churches in America (2002) and the impact of globalization on missions (2005). He currently is researching human migration in Scripture and the implications for ministry worldwide. Dr. Pocock has been a visiting professor at Christian colleges and seminaries around the world, and in 2008 he began serving as chairman of the board for Evergreen Family Friendship Services/China.
- WM101 - Introduction to World Missions
- WM215 - Dynamics of Missionary Development
- DM103 - The Applied Research Project
- WM310 - Ministry in Asian Contexts
- WM320 - Ministry in European Contexts
- WM325 - Ministry in Multicultural
- WM335 - Ministry in Roman Catholic Contexts
- WM420 - Missions Strategies for Unreached Peoples
- WM425 - Intercultural Church Planting
- WM430 - Strategies for Reaching World-class Cities
- WM525 - Spiritual Warfare
- God Can Use You Now! - (07/06/2011)
- Handling Adversity - (04/28/2011)
- Once to Every Man and Nation - (06/30/2010)
- The Gospel Message - (06/10/2009)
- Round Table Discussion - (10/31/2008)
- God Moves in a Mysterious Way - (10/02/2008)
- Experiencing God Up Close - (07/16/2008)
- The Story Behind End of the Spear (2 of 2) - (03/02/2006)
- The Story Behind End of the Spear (1 of 2) - (03/01/2006)
- The Glory of Serving a Global God - (10/28/2003)
- The Changing Face of World Missions: Engaging Contemporary Issues and Trends Baker: 2005
- The Centrality of Christ in Contemporary Missions (EMS vol. 12): William Carey Library: 2005
- Cultural Change and Your Church: Helping Your Church Thrive in a Diverse Society: Baker Books: 2002
- “Personnel for Our Generation.” in Reaching Our Generation William Carey Library: 1982
- "Review of 'Global Missiology for the 21st Century: the Iguassu Dialogue.'" Bibliotheca Sacra 161, no. 641 (2004). 127-128.
- "Review of 'Faiths in Conflict? Christian Integrity in a Multicultural World.'" Bibliotheca Sacra 160, no. 640 (2003). 507-507.
- "Review of 'Encountering Religious Pluralism: the Challenge to Christian Faith and Mission.'" Evangelical Missions Quarterly 38, no. 3 (2002). 375-376.
- "Review of 'Where the Nations Meet: the Church in a Multicultural World.'" Bibliotheca Sacra 157, no. 627 (2000). 383-384.
- "Recruiting for the Frontiers : A Response." Evangelical Missions Quarterly 33 (1997). 152-153.
- "Review of 'Helping Others Find Freedom in Christ.'" Bibliotheca Sacra 153 (1996). 489-491.
- "Focus and Balance in Missionary Outreach." Evangelical Missions Quarterly 32 (1996). 160-164.
- "Review of 'New Directions in Mission and Evangelization, V 2: Theological Foundations.'" Evangelical Missions Quarterly 31 (1995). 350-352.
- "Review of 'Communicating Christ in Animistic Contexts.'" Bibliotheca Sacra 152 (1995). 127-128.
- "Review of 'Reaching the World Next Door.'" Bibliotheca Sacra 151 (1994). 507-508.
- "Review of 'Powers of Darkness: Principalities and Powers in Paul's Letters.'" Bibliotheca Sacra 150 (1993). 116-117.
- "A Report of the Evangelical Missiological Society." International Journal of Frontier Missions 10, no. 1 (1993). 40-40.
- "Review of 'Church Renewal: A Handbook for Christian Leaders.'" Evangelical Missions Quarterly 26, no. 4 (1990). 493-494.
- "Review of 'Cities: Mission's New Frontier.'" Bibliotheca Sacra 147 (1990). 384-384.
- "Review of 'Frontier Challenge.'" Evangelical Missions Quarterly 25, no. 1 (1989). 108-109.
- "The Destiny of the World and the Work of Missions." Bibliotheca Sacra 145 (1988). 436-451.
- "Gaining Long-term Mileage from Short-term Programs." Evangelical Missions Quarterly 23, no. 2 (1987). 154-160.
- "The Evangelical Alliance Mission." Evangelical Missions Quarterly 22, no. 2 (1986). 122-125.
- "A Recruiter's View of Missionary Training." Evangelical Missions Quarterly 21, no. 4 (1985). 409-412.
- "Review of 'Destroying the Barriers: Receptor Oriented Communication of the Gospel.'" Evangelical Missions Quarterly 19, no. 3 (1983). 269-270.
- "The Ecclesiological Product of the Ecumenical Movement." Journal of the Evangelical Theological Society 12 (1969). 159-165.
- Intercultural communication
- Global missionary movements
- The relationship between Christianity and contemporary culture
- Spiritual warfare
- Helping churches minister to their ethnically diverse communities